Thursday, February 20, 2014

studying (a.k.a the worst thing ever.)

I probably could have chose a better topic to take a picture of... 
I have always struggled with studying.
I can't concentrate for long periods of time and while my eyes glaze over history notes I notice things that are far more interesting - like old diaries, books I have read plenty of times and, of course, the internet.
Oh the internet.
Sometimes I think of it as the serial killer of all motivation and production. Is it even possible to 'just go on for 10 minutes'? I think not.

But my problem is that GCSEs are far too soon and I can't really afford all of this procrastination bullshit. 
I need to start now.
And when you think about it exams aren't really that difficult - it is just learning stuff.
 I mean, I know that is simplifying it but there are even ways you can make what you are learning almost fun.

So these are studying methods that I have found have worked for me recently and I vow to use them for the next three months or so... and hopefully they will help you in some way. But it is okay if they don't because we all study in different ways and it is just whatever works well for you.

Emoji

1. Go to the library.

When I go to the library or the study space in my school I find it 100 times easier to revise and do homework. It is quiet, there are no distractions and since everyone around me is doing work I am more motivated. So I want to start going to the library in my town on a Saturday (when I'm not busy) and continue to go during the week. Let's hope so!

2. Use colour. And a lot of it.

I like colourful things. And I am pretty sure that it is a scientific fact (or just a 'well known fact') that colour helps your brain remember things. I mean, that is why we use highlighters, right? When I get a big A3 sheet of paper and some markers studying is a lot more enjoyable. So why not keep it that way?

3. Always refer every topic back to past paper questions.

This is pretty basic - past papers are where it is at. If you don't revise with past paper questions then you won't know what to expect. My goal is to use past papers a lot more... 


4. Use the internet wisely.

So the internet can be bad - it can be a time-waster and a huge distraction. But you can also get some pretty great resources from it like BBC bitesize and YouTube videos explaining that topic you couldn't quite understand. I recommend you use your laptop in front of your parents or somewhere public like the kitchen - then you won't click on websites like blogger, twitter or perez hilton (my guilty pleasure!)


I am hoping I can follow all of these and get good grades in august Emoji

Let me know if you have any exams coming up below and we can cry about them together.

...


UH WOULDN'T LIFE BE SO MUCH EASIER IF WE WERE ALL CATS?!


 photo sign_zpsce874fdb.jpg

33 comments:

  1. I have those pens too! I have my junior cert in June and I definitely find colour useful. Unfortunately I have to talk out loud whenever I study so libraries don't help unless I'm trying to study in school. Quiet is important

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good luck in your junior cert! my sister studies like that too - I always hear her mumbling biology definitions in her room! I used to pretend to be a teacher and 'teach the class' (not actually, I was just in my bedroom!) the subject. It worked pretty well :)

      x

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yeah it's funny everyone seems to have different methods. Good luck to you too!

      Anna x

      Delete
  2. Ugh I hate studying too, but doesn't everyone? But at least we have the internet nowadays...imagine having to read textbooks everytime you study! :o

    Sharlotte //

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I find youtube videos and fun online games so helpful!

      x

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your GCSEs! Try covering your room in big colourful posters/mind maps so you see them all the time, that helped me a lot :)
    Your blog is lovely, I'm a new follower! Check out my blog too if you fancy

    Alexandra
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes I'm planning to do that & your blog is lovely :)

      x

      Delete
  4. I hate studying too. I can't wait for my GCSE's to be over and done with. :) What subjects do you do?
    Molly | Molly Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, just thinking about summer gets me all excited! I'm doing drama, p.e (I'm actually the most unfit person ever but I do dance & gymnastics which doesn't require you to run) biology, history, english lit, english lang, math, religion and irish. I did media studies last year outside of school and amazingly it counts as 2 gcse's - thank god since I dropped art! What about you? x

      Delete
  5. I literally hate studying so much, even more so at a levels. I can't believe how hard they are! D: D:
    I deffo agree with the library thing tho, I always work better in places like that!
    Good luck with your exams, they'll be fine! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I'm not looking forward to a levels... we have to choose ours on monday and uhhhh I'm growing up too quickly! thank you, you too :)

      x

      Delete
    2. Ah don't worry too much, you normally don't have to stick to your first choices. (I know I didn't! haha)
      What freaked me out the most was all the uni talk, scary!
      Do you get Prom when all the exams are done?
      xx

      Delete
    3. Yeah I think I know what I want to do but it'll also depend on how I do in my gcse's so...
      And god yeah! I'm actually looking fwd to uni but my sister is applying at the minute and interviews seem stressful :/
      And we don't even get a prom at my school! there is a 'formal' (just what we call prom) but it's not until after a levels!

      x

      Delete
    4. Ah that's good, I'm sure you'll do great in the gcses :)
      Ah that sucks that you don't get a prom! Especially after all the work for gcses! Make sure you do something to celebrate when they're over! It's such a relief! haha
      xx

      Delete
  6. I hate school!! Here where I live we have a different way of education. I have 13 school subjects. And this is the worst time, now exams and tests begin. :/ I wish you lots of luck! xxx

    Antonia || fashionfairy07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm so excited to finish school in 2 years! Thanks Antonia, good luck in yours too!

      x

      Delete
  7. omg i just love your writing and i am seriously thinking of getting those coloured pens!!!!! ahhh they r so pretty. i think that going to the library or to after study is a good thing for some people. You have no distractions but i also need to talk out load to learn stuff so i would probably go to the library to make notes or to do written homework. Thankfully i have no major exams till next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you! haha I'm a stationery kinda girl too :) enjoy your free time while you still have it!!

      x

      Delete
  8. Fab guide Niamh! I need to get going too... x

    http://theressomethingaboutalice.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks alice :) we got our gcse timetable today and it kinda hit home that it's so soon D:

      x

      Delete
  9. Great tips! I love using colour, it gets me a little but motivated x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah - colour makes everything a little better ^.^

      x

      Delete
  10. I'm in Fifth Year so next year is Sixth Year (Leaving Cert!) I was just studying today and it's a nightmare! I'm a more verbal learner I mumble definitions to myself and pretend to ''teach'' what I learn! (Ironic as I plan to be a primary school teacher!) I see you mentioned you studied Irish, Dia Dhuit :D Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too! Although not at the library cause I'd get weird looks o_o I used to have a whiteboard and everything! Tá mé millteanach ag gaeilge (loosely translates to 'I'm terrible at irish' - I say loosely because I'm so bad at irish that I can't even form that sentence with confidence. Thank you!

      x

      Delete
  11. Great post! I agree with you about studying at the library - you are literally forced to be quiet and focused haha! I'm always really aware that any little sound could disturb people so I just get my head down and work :) I read a good study tip the other day, it said that if you're dreading starting an essay/section of revision, say to yourself that you'll just do it for 10 minutes- that way it feels manageable and often after the 10 minutes you've made a good start and feel you can carry on for longer :) Good luck with your exams! x

    janesjumbles.blogspot.co.uk

    janesjumbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you jane! yes I'm totally aware of any sounds I made so the only thing I can do is revise :) that's actually a really good tip - it's like tricking your brain!

      x

      Delete
  12. Great tips! I find that having a schedule/plan really helps me, although I haven't found the best thing to stop me from getting stressed!

    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can NEVER stick to a schedule, I wish I could though. And I get so stressed and panicked too - I hate it :/

      x

      Delete
  13. I'm sure you'll do FAB with these methods good luck on exams :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you grace! I'm not so sure about that but I hope so!

      x

      Delete
  14. These are great tips, I'm the same with colour, I carry 6 different coloured highlighters in my blazer pocket everyday for school! I am unfortunately having to cut down my bloglovin time and spend a lot less time on my computer too so that I can study but hopefully It will all be worth it in the summer, hope your exams go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I know I have to do that too! I'm so excited for summer ^.^

      x

      Delete
  15. Wouldn't being a cat be so much easier?! The tragedy and burden of being a student haha. I am a pretty huge studyholic and I exactly know what you are talking about. Just hang in there you will do great :) Speaking of studying I should be doing that right about now. . .oops heh heh :P New follower!

    www.neverforgottenhere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd absolutely love to hear your thoughts on this one...