Tuesday, June 24, 2014

lily allen sheezus

This year my love for Lily Allen has grown enormously.
I've always liked her and have had her more popular songs like The Fear and Who'd Have Known on my ipod for years but it was only in late 2013 I became a real fan.
I don't know about you but I think she's great!
She is so honest and her songs can be really witty, taking a satirical view on issues in society. A perfect example would be her feminist anthem Hard Out Here.

I pre-ordered Lily's new album Sheezus which came out at the beginning of May and although it's fairly different from her other two albums I love it just as much. My favourite songs would have to be URL Badman which is basically about internet trolls/male music bloggers, Insincerely Yours which is based around the idea of the music industry being fake/insincere and Take My Place which is about the death of her first child. As you can see they're all quite different subject matters - the album is an 'all-rounder', not just in the subjects Lily touches on but also the type of music. As Long As I Got You has got a country vibe while L8 CMMR sounds quite techno and playful.

If I had to describe Sheezus in one word I'd use fun. It's a fun pop album but with meaning behind the lyrics which is pretty rare these days. The deluxe version is even better (as expected since, you know, it's more expensive) as it has five more songs including her cover of Keane's Somewhere Only We Know which was used for the famous John Lewis Christmas ad. 

If you have a spare 20 minutes you should watch Lily talk about the inspiration behind each track on the album: 
If I could change one thing about Sheezus it'd be the amount of autotune used. Some of it definitely added a cool effect like on L8 CMMR or Hard Out Here but I found a lot of it unnecessary - Lily has such a pretty voice naturally, she really doesn't need help!

I've had Sheezus on repeat for almost two months now and I'm still not sick of it. My mum has warned me not to play it around the house though because my younger brothers and sister are started to sing 'Forget your balls and grow a pair of tits/ It's hard, it's hard, it's hard out here for a bitch' which, you know, isn't the best thing to come out of a child's mouth. But, I argued, at least the explicit words are used with good intentions. My mum, of course, doesn't care.

Lily seems to be a 'love or hate' musician as of late - so what's your opinion? 


 photo sign_zpsce874fdb.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about Lily. I have been a fan for a while now and panicked a bit when she claimed to never want to make music again (after the birth of her kids, I believe). I need to watch that 2nd video you posted- it seems like it'd be interesting. I haven't had time and patience to listen to the full album yet but was happy to see it on Spotify. I really liked her cover of "Somewhere Only We Know" and of course, "Hard Out Here". She's definitely a talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm so glad she came back from her 'retirement'! x

      Delete
  2. I love "hard out here" this is my first time watching the music video it's amazing I love it! Lily Allen rocks!

    http://jennoshealth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd absolutely love to hear your thoughts on this one...