Monday, June 16, 2014

my summer reading list


Hello!
It's been nearly three months - but I'm back Emoji
To be honest there were many times during the exam season I was going to blog even though I was on a 'break' because I missed it so much. And now it feels so foreign and strange! I'm definitely looking forward to blogging a lot more this summer.
I finished my gcse's today (!!!) and I think they went okay. Not great but I don't think I failed any, you know?
I'll just try not to think about them until results day. 

With summer comes an abundance of free time and one of things I want to do more of is read. When I read during my exams I felt really guilty because I knew I was procrastinating. So I wrote down a little list of books I planned to read when I was free from school. And this the list.


1. Lolita. 
It's a classic and I think it'll be a challenge but I've wanted to read it for a year or so now. I don't really know why I want to read it so much - it's strange, innit? A man obsessed with a 12 year old girl. Weird stuff.

2. The Virgin Suicides. 
I absolutely love the film (it's eerie and haunting but beautiful at the same time) and I imagine the book to be just as good. I'll have to see! In summary it's about five sisters who commit suicide and the novel is narrated by the neighbourhood boys who are infatuated by them.

3. Goose. 
I'm kind of cheating with this one because I'm already three quarters of the way through this book but it was on my list! It's the sequel to Paper Aeroplanes which was a really good book but not a great book. However I loved the characters, enough to buy the sequel anyway! And I'm so glad I bought Goose because it's just... amazing. It covers so many thoughts teenage girls have (on friendship, sex and religion to name a few!) and I think loads of readers will identify with the main characters Renee and Flo.

4. The Catcher In The Rye. 
Another classic that I've planned to read for a while. Last summer I read a few chapters of it and found it relatively easy to read as the language Salinger uses isn't complex. So yeah, I'm looking forward to reading this one.

5. One Day. 
Have you ever started a book loads of times and keep getting to a particular chapter and then you get bored/distracted by other things? Cause I've read the first 60 pages of One Day like five times! So my goal is to get to the end. I really love the film and I have a feeling I'll love the book more, if I just give it a chance.

6. The Great Gatsby.
I'm planning to do English Literature next year for A level and this is one of the set texts so it'd be pretty smart to read it now, when I have nothing better to do! I'm a huge fan of the film but I do find some of it confusing - so hopefully the book will clear those parts up.

7. Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.
A bit of a random one that caught my eye on Amazon. Have any of you ever watched Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist? It's a good film (Personally I find anything with Michael Cera good) and this book is written by the same author (oh yeah forgot to mention Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist was a book first!) I've read a few chapters and it seems like everything you want in a young adult book: adventure, love and christmas. Perfect.

And that's my summer reading list!
 It's pretty doable. I would include more but I'll probably re-read a few books and some of them like Lolita and The Great Gatsby will take me longer than the others I imagine.
I realise that my 'comeback' post being about books is a little nerdy but I get pretty enthusiastic about this kinda stuff - 
Are there any books that you'll be reading this summer? Did I leave any out that are must-reads? 


 photo sign_zpsce874fdb.jpg

13 comments:

  1. It's great to have you back girl! I loved Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman it's a young adult fiction about racism except the tables are turned! It is the best book I have ever read! Check it out whenever you have time hun x

    http://jennoshealth.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! It's good to be back ;) I actually have that book in my house cause my sister read it years ago - and my sister is not much of a reader and even she loved it! I'll definitely have to read it soon x

      Delete
    2. Awesome! when you read it be sure to let me know! I'm obsessed :) I hope you love it as much as I do :P xo

      Delete
  2. I had to read The Great Gatsby in school this year and it definitely explains a ton of things and goes into better detail than the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear! I'm actually looking forward to reading it ^.^

      Delete
  3. I've been trying to get through One Day as well, but I just never finish it! Gatsby and Dash and Lily's book of dares are both on my summer reading list as well! Feels so good to be exam free and guilt free when it comes to reading :)

    wanderingnot-lost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there's always a part I stop reading at but then the next time I try to read it I've forget the start so I need to go back to chapter one! Hopefully I can just make it through to the end this time! Love your blog by the way! x

      Delete
  4. yay im so happy you are back! i hope you did well in your exams! and also just to let you know i love all your pics on this they are all great quality with creative backgrounds! well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katie! I hope so too but I'll just have to wait and see ^.^

      Delete
  5. I love the virgin suicides! The narrator in the movie makes everything seem spooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently read Dash & Lily's Book Of Dares and loved it! It's a lovely summer read (even though its set at christmas) and the characters are just so loveable and its just one if those books where you like 'I wish I was in it'. I have also read One Day and I understand what you mean, it took me a while to get into it, but the further you read the better it gets :) Lovely post, I need to go shopping for my summer reads too! xoxo
    Helena @ http://lifeinafewnutshells.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished One Day today and as much as I love the movie, it's definitely better! It's so well written and you get so attached - I just hate the way it has to end on a sad note :( And I'm looking forward to getting stuck into Dash & Lily's Book of Dares! I might save it for my holiday though because it seems like the perfect book to read by the pool or beach...

      p.s I love your blog helena!

      Delete
  7. Nice post! I have The Great Gatsby on my to read list, I haven't watched the movie so I'm looking forward to diving into the story.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete

I'd absolutely love to hear your thoughts on this one...