Tuesday, October 28, 2014

taylor swift 1989

asdfghjkl.
 Since August 18th, when Taylor announced in a livestream that her new album was called 1989 and it would be released today (!!!), I have been excited. Actually that's an understatement. So I do apologise if this blog post isn't very articulate and is just a messy stream of thoughts from a fangirl. I have feeling it's going to go that way.

First off, before I even get stuck into talking about the album, I just want to talk about Taylor. Sometimes people really dislike the fact that I'm a fan of Taylor Swift, or they think it's weird because, for some reason, the media decided to pick on her and make her this massive joke in 2013. And while I think things definitely aren't as bad this year, you'll still find people saying, 'all she does is write songs about boys she's dated' or 'she's so immature' and other rubbish like that. If you're not a fan, that's fine, cool, everyone's different, fabulous. But if you're hating on her because of something you read in a 89p magazine with headlines like 'OMG SHE TEXT HARRY 100 times' then... just no. If you want to get to know Taylor like the fans do I'd recommend you check out her tumblr because she comes across as the coolest and most down to earth person ever.
Also you should definitely watch her response to the 'haters':




Okay let's get back to 1989 (which is a strange sentence if you don't know the context). It's her first pop album, although Red was definitely a step in this direction. However 1989 is so obviously influenced by 80's pop, which Taylor has said in previous interviews.
One thing Taylor does so well is make you feel a certain emotion through her songs. So, for example, in Out Of The Woods you feel anxiety and uncertainty as she chants the chorus. And Welcome To New York makes you feel like you're rolling up to the Big Apple in complete awe and joy. 
Blank Space, I Know Places and Wonderland make it clear that Taylor is very aware of the media. It's quite sad as you can tell that it affects her a lot (but we did get three amazing songs out of it!) Blank Space, which would make a brilliant single as it seems to be the one everyone can't out of their heads, is very sassy with lines like, 'got a long list of ex lovers, they'll tell you I'm insane.' She wrote it from the perspective of the character the media portrays her as - clingy, desperate etc. - and not who she really is.
I imagine that I Know Places and Wonderland are about her relationship with Harry (#otp) as they both received a lot of hate for it and these songs paint that picture, '...but there was strangers watching, and whispers turned to talking and talking turned to screams.'
One of my favourite songs, Wildest Dreams, is quite Lana Del Ray-esque and is so different to anything she has ever done before. The chorus of Style (can you guess who inspired this track?) is definitely one you'll find yourself singing along to uncontrollably but it's the verses that I personally love as there's something dark and mysterious about them, 'I said I heard that you've been out and about with some other girl'.


 Right now I'm loving the slower songs like This Love, You Are In Love and Clean. The latter, which was co-written with Imogen Heap, is the last song on the ordinary album and is a musical masterpiece. Seriously, what other pop song has lyrics like, 'You're still all over me like a wine-stained dress I can't wear anymore.'
New Romantics is possibly the most 80s sounding track on the record and reminded me of Blondie when I first heard it. If you can sit still while this is playing then you're a stronger person than I am.
One of the most adorable songs is How You Get The Girl which should be cheesy but it's not and it also kind of reminds me of 22, yet I like this one better.
Included on the deluxe CD are three voice memos of the beginnings of the songs I Know Places, I Wish You Would and Blank Space. It's so interesting to hear how these songs started and they're hilarious as she doesn't really know the lyrics yet, it's mainly the melody, so she's just mumbling random words at some parts.



Every album comes with thirteen polaroids and there's five sets, so sixty-five altogether. Not only is this a super cute idea but it's also a smart marketing technique because fans, like me, are going to want to collect all the polaroids and therefore buy more albums. I've already ordered the deluxe version from Amazon in hope of getting a different set of pictures (and because I really want the deluxe.)
And who says Taylor Swift has nothing in her brain?!


Something Taylor has done since her first album is record secret messages in the album booklets. The lower-case letters in the lyrics can be put together to form sentences. The way she did it for this album is a little different as it's a story instead of little details relevant to each song. I think it's the cutest thing:
We begin our story in New York.
There once was a girl known by everyone and no-one,
her heart belonged to someone who couldn't stay.
They loved each other recklessly.
They paid the price.
She danced to forget him.
He drove past her street each night.
She made friends and enemies.
He only saw her in his dreams.
Then one day he came back.
Timing is a funny thing and everyone was watching.
She lost him but she found herself and somehow that was everything.

I wish I could give you a list of my favourite songs but I can't because I pretty much love them all equally. Is it even possible to pick a favourite Taylor Swift song? I think her albums are more like an emotional journey than thirteen separate songs.
1989 is so incredibly catchy and it'll make you want to dance no matter where you are, but what sets it apart from other pop albums are Taylor's lyrics and the meaning behind the songs. I honestly think it is Taylor's best album, like ever (well, so far!). As my eight year old brother put it, 'It's like Red doesn't even exist anymore, 1989 is just so good.'

' From the girl who said she would never cut her hair or move to New York or find happiness in a world where she is not in love...' 
Are you a fan of Taylor? What's your thoughts on 1989? 

 photo sign_zpsce874fdb.jpg

10 comments:

  1. I downloaded 1989 off itunes yesterday and I've already listened to it throughout five times! I honestly adore it and I haven't even owned it for 24 hours yet!
    My favourite song is "Blank Space" but I love all the songs!
    - F -
    www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blank Space is such a good song, I think it's going to be the next single! x

      Delete
  2. I'm listening to it as I read your post and I'm in love. I loved Red a lot, but 1989 is something else. I didn't know about the polaroids - I just bought it off iTunes which I definitely feel was a mistake now! I'm not sure which song is my favourite yet, but I do think Shake It Off was the perfect single to introduce the album.

    Megan // Lazy Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! The polaroids are a really cute idea, very tumblr! Even though Shake It Off doesn't really compare to the rest of the album, in my opinion, I agree that it was the perfect lead single, cause it got people talking. x

      Delete
  3. Just downloading the album now, can't wait to listen to it after reading that! x
    beautybyageek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylors music is so good! can't wait to listen out for 1989 :)

    Jennos Health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Currently obsessed with this album. I can't stop listening to it. Lovely post. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too (if you couldn't tell!) It's been on non-stop this week, and probably for the rest of the year! Thanks Guilianna x

      Delete
  6. I'm going to be honest, I haven't really been a Taylor Swift fan for many years but I think this has changed. I am absolutely in love with 1989. It is phenomenal and I love the polaroids that come with it- I think it's really cute. And it's the highest selling album for the first week in 2002! My favourites are Shake It Off, Clean, I Know Places, Bad Blood and Style :)

    splasheswithfabulosity.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love this album!!

    xx Emma, www.ouvrirlabouche.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd absolutely love to hear your thoughts on this one...